Accident/Incident Reporting (for Workers)

All accidents/incidents involving UBC workers (faculty, staff & student workers) or practicum students must be immediately reported to the responsible supervisor and then on-line through the UBC Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting System (CAIRS).

If you are from the UBC Okanagan campus, please follow the procedures and report through UBCO Health, Safety and Environment.

Report an Accident/Incident (UBC CAIRS)

What should I do if this is a serious accident/incident?

If you have had a serious incident in your workplace, notify your supervisor or someone responsible for the unit as soon as possible. UBC may be required to notify WorkSafeBC and potentially other regulatory agencies immediately. Under the Workers Compensation Act the following incidents must be immediately reported to WorkSafeBC. Any incident that:

  • Results in serious injury to or the death of a worker;
  • Involves a major structural failure or collapse of a building, bridge, tower, crane, hoist, temporary construction support system or excavation
  • Involves the major release of a hazardous substance;
  • Involves a fire or explosion that had potential for causing serious injury to a worker; or
  • That is diving-related or blasting-related.

SRS can be immediately notified by calling Campus security at 604-822-2222.

For questions or concerns about federally reportable incidents involving radiation, infectious materials, or transportation of dangerous goods, please contact SRS Research Compliance and Occupational Hygiene at 604-822-2029 (Mon-Fri 8:30-4:30) or 604-822-2222 (after working hours).

If the incident meets the above, it is important to not disturb the scene as much as possible until otherwise notified by the applicable authorities.

^ Back to Top

All incidents and accidents that occur in UBC work spaces must reported immediately to your supervisor. It is against the law to discourage or not report an injury or accident that has occurred in your workplace.

If you have been involved with an accident/incident, the following steps must be taken:

Important: Do not enter an area with ongoing risks or dangers! Call a Supervisor and/or Security for support.

Determine if it is an emergency and call 911 if applicable (ie. Medical emergency, traumatic incident). If there is an injury contact UBC First-aid by calling 604-822-4444 (Faculty/Staff) or 604-822-2222 (Students). In the event of a medical emergency, first call, 9-1-1 and then call first aid.

Note: UBC workplaces outside the Vancouver campus will have their own first aid procedures. Ask your supervisor to learn more.

After the injuries have been attended to, follow the steps to report the accident/incident.

To report an accident/incident, the following steps must be taken:

  1. Notify the person(s) responsible for your workplace (i.e. your supervisor);
  2. Injured/affected workers can complete an incident form (Person Injured/Affected Report) at UBC CAIRS;
  3. If you have seen a doctor or have missed time from work as a result of a work-related injury/illness, you can start a WCB claim by calling the WorkSafeBC Teleclaim Contact Centre at 1.888.WORKERS (1.888.967.5377). An incident/accident report must also be filled out at UBC CAIRS (Person Involved in Incident Report).

^ Back to Top

If I am unable to work, how do I receive compensation for my injury?

Workers’ Compensation is an accident and disability insurance benefit set up under the Workers Compensations Act to help protect workers and employers against the financial impact of work related injuries. If your reported claim through CAIRS is accepted by WorkSafeBC, UBC Workplace Health Services (Human Resources), provides a Remain at Work/Return to Work Program for injured and/or ill employees to assist workers to maintain productive employment.

^ Back to Top

How do I get more information regarding injury/illness coverage?

Contact UBC Workplace Health Services (HR) for information regarding WorkSafeBC claims coverage.

For information regarding Practicum/Clinical Placement Students coverage, you may also visit Practicum/Clinical Placement Student Safety.

For other insurance coverage, please contact SRS Insurance & Loss Prevention.

^ Back to Top