The Privacy and Information Security Management (PrISM)-SRS team’s mission is to reduce the risk of a privacy or information security breach impacting the UBC community, while enabling strategic risk acceptance in support of UBC’s strategic plan.
Privacy & Information Security
We provide the following services to the UBC community to fulfil this mission:
Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA)
Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA): Perform PIAs for new or existing projects / systems that are being substantially modified; thereby, fulfilling a legal requirement under FIPPA and better protecting the information in UBC’s custody.
Risk Assessments & Tools
Perform custom risk assessments / investigations into emerging, or prevalent risk areas to assist in better understanding and mitigating privacy and information security risk.
- Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) helps identify and mitigate potential privacy and security issues related to all new or substantially modified systems, projects, programs or activities, thereby fulfilling UBC’s legal requirements.
- Application Risk Assessments (ARA) covers technical risk areas such as vulnerability management and privileged access.
- Operational Risk Assessments (ORA) focuses on risks relating to end-user handling of personal information
- Tailored Risk Assessments (if none of the above fit your needs)
- PIA Inquiry Form (web-based)
- PIA Risk Classification Tool (EXCEL 202kb)
- Application Risk Assessment (EXCEL 197kb)
- Operational Risk Assessment (EXCEL 328kb)
- Privacy and Information Security Requirements & Risk Assessment (EXCEL 108kb)
- Implementation Checklist (EXCEL 15kb)
- Privacy & Security Solutions & Services Integration Checklist (WORD 25kb)
Privacy & Information Security Fundamentals Training
Nearly every UBC faculty and staff member has access to Confidential Information, including personal information or payment card data. As the disclosure of this information could be very harmful, it’s important for you to know how to protect it.
The Privacy & Information Security Fundamentals Training is comprised of the following topics:
Fundamentals Part 1
- Privacy and Personal Information
- Transmission and Sharing of Information
- Storage and Encryption of Information
- Working Remotely
- General Privacy and Information Security Tips
Fundamentals Part 2
- Disclosure of Information
- Freedom of Information Requests
- Managing Records and Information
- Managing Accounts and Passwords
- Tips and Reminders
Undertake special projects to better identify, measure or mitigate key privacy or information security risks and provide (privacy and information security-related) consulting services to the community.
^ Back to Top