Mobile Equipment and ATV Safety

Mobile Equipment and ATV Safety Guidance

What is considered Mobile Equipment?

This content applies to all workers who work with mobile equipment (includes HIAB, lift trucks, backhoes, skid-steer, excavator, etc.) and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). There may be additional requirements for other “prime movers” (such as UTVs, earth-movers, and lift trucks).

Mobile equipment generally means a prime mover, or a prime mover with a towed component, which towed component moves relative to the ground, or has a rider, for its work function, but does not include:

  • a prime mover, or a towed component, that is carried as a load,
  • a commercial passenger vehicle under the Passenger Transportation Act, including a bus or a taxi, or
  • a motor assisted cycle, scooter, minibike, skateboard or other miniature vehicle.

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) means a motorized vehicle, designed to travel on 4 or more low pressure tires with or without endless tracks added, with a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering, but does not include an all-terrain cycle or a utility terrain vehicle.
^ Back to Top

What is required for Mobile Equipment and ATVs?

UBC operations involving mobile equipment must follow responsibilities under the University Health and Safety Policy, and requirements of the Motor Vehicle Act (such as having a valid license to travel on roadways) and applicable Standards (windows, maintenance, brakes, seat belts, controls, steering, load handling attachments), and all other legal requirements, including but not limited to:

^ Back to Top

What training is involved?

Each operator must be properly trained in the safe operation of the vehicle. The training program for an operator typically covers, but is not limited to:

  1. The operator’s pre-trip inspection
  2. Use of personal protective equipment and clothing
  3. Operating skills according to the manufacturer’s instructions (including safe use and competency demonstration)
  4. Basic mechanical requirements
  5. Loading and unloading the vehicle, and securing loads, if required.

^ Back to Top

What are supervisors’ responsibilities?

Requirements and precautions should be taken towards the mitigation of risks including injuries, damage to equipment, infrastructure, structures and property.

Supervisors must ensure that each operator is properly trained and/or certified (relative to the equipment) and competent (with documentation) in the safe operation of the equipment prior to use (unless being trained under the supervision of an instructor/supervisor). Prior to commencing work, the scope of the work, location of applicable manuals and/or risk assessments and safe work procedures must be communicated. This may include (as applicable), but not limited to:

  • Hazard identification
  • Inspections and maintenance (including tire servicing)
  • Personal protective equipment and clothing
  • Other considerations such as, but not limited to: Safe operation (including boarding/leaving, clearance, vision, swing radius, working on grades); loading, unloading, securing load/max loads; unattended equipment; pedestrian and equipment traffic

^ Back to Top

How do we identify hazards?

Hazards associated with Mobile Equipment and ATV can include, but are not limited to:

  • Rollover
  • Contact with pedestrians
  • Excavation collapse
  • Traffic hazards (people, lanes, etc.)
  • Overhead hazards (power lines, height restrictions, etc.)
  • Slip/Fall hazards
  • Obstructed views

^ Back to Top

What needs to be inspected and assessed?

  1. The operator must inspect the equipment before the start of operation on the shift and thereafter as required to ensure the safe operating condition of the equipment.
  2. The operator must report defects and conditions affecting the safe operation of the equipment to the supervisor or employer.
  3. Any repair or adjustment necessary for the safe operation of the equipment must be made before the equipment is used.
  4. During operation, the operator must continuously monitor the performance of the mobile equipment and report any unsafe, or potentially unsafe, defects to the supervisor.
  5. Inspection and maintenance records must be kept for at least 2 years of any defect reported.

^ Back to Top

What Personal Protective Equipment and Clothing may be needed?

Workers working with or in close proximity to mobile equipment or ATVs must wear:

  • High visibility vest
  • Hearing protection if required
  • Protective head gear (Hard hat, etc.) if required
  • Clothing suitable for the environmental conditions.
    • When necessary to protect against the hazards presented at the worksite, suitable gloves and clothing which covers the ankles and legs and the arms to the wrists.
  • Eye protection if required
  • Steel-toed boots if required
  • Gloves if required

Note: The PPE above must meet any applicable requirements set out in the Occupational Health & Safety Regulation.
^ Back to Top

What needs to have Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS)?

“Rollover protective structures” or “ROPS” is an affixed to structure to mobile equipment and designed to protect an on-board operator in the event of a rollover of the mobile equipment.

Mobile equipment must be used with certified ROPS unless permitted by the Occupational Health & Safety Regulation (such as ATVs, snowmobiles, golf carts). Modifications and repairs must be marked.
^ Back to Top

What is required for Rollover Protective Structures (ROPS)?

A rollover risk assessment must be done by a qualified person, documented, and available at the site where there is the risk that mobile equipment will experience a rollover while it is being operated by an on-board operator, based on the relevant circumstances of the proposed operation.  For assistance, contact SRS
^ Back to Top

What is required for All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) operator use?

There are additional requirements for All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV) including but not limited to use, instructions, modifications, loading and unloading.  Contact Safety & Risk Services for further assistance.

An ATV/UTV Checklist can be found on the WorkSafe BC website.
^ Back to Top

How do I obtain additional information about Mobile Equipment and ATVs?

For any support regarding mobile equipment and ATVs, contact Safety & Risk Services.