The Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS), formerly known as the Chemical Waste Inventory System (CWIS) is an online database which is used to safely dispose of hazardous waste at UBC. You can login by clicking on “Dispose of Hazardous Waste” – look for the light blue button on the right of your screen.
The Point Grey campus system is currently undergoing some changes which affect the way it is used. The recent changes are summarized below, with some more due to take place later. More information will be posted here in due course.
Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) – Update
Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) – Update
Why has UBC Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) changed?
Some recent software changes will affect the way you use the system if you are located at the Point Grey Campus. These changes enhance system functionalities, improve generator accountability, and most importantly, ensure continued regulatory compliance. Details for the changes as well as FAQs about the changes can be found below. This page will be updated with more information in due course.
What has changed?
- The changes below ONLY affect the HWIS database used by waste generators on the Point Grey campus.
- A new name – Hazardous Waste Inventory System (HWIS) to reflect system use for both biological and chemical waste.
- Each Principal Investigator (PI) will now acknowledge responsibility for the hazardous waste generated in their laboratory by any member of their research or teaching group (staff/students) under a Responsibility Statement.
- Each PI is now required to approve access to the system for all Users within their labs – this was previously managed centrally.
- PIs now have access to their research group’s annual hazardous waste reports.
- New Users, INCLUDING NEW PIs who create new accounts, can now only use UBC email addresses to register.
- All existing Users, INCLUDING EXISTING PIs, will be required to update their profile with a UBC email address. You will be prompted to make this change at your next system login. We will no longer accept any Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, UBC Interchange, or any other non-UBC emails as user names – this is to conform to UBC Information Systems Policy SC14.
- All Users, including PIs, can now reset their password using the “Forgot Your Password” link.
- Monthly autoclave reports and annual animal waste declarations must be submitted online.
- All waste disposal tags and generator barcode stickers must now be ordered via an e-form within HWIS. Email requests will no longer be accepted.
Heads Up! More Changes to come
Starting 2020, all PIs and Users will be required to hold valid certificates (2014 or later) in order access the system.
- Chemical Safety and/or Biosafety certificate; AND
- Hazardous Waste Management certificate – this has become a separate course (no longer embedded in Chemical Safety)
We will contact you again once we have more information, including when it will take effect for existing users/PIs who have HWIS accounts pre-dating 2020. Prior to the change, you will be given a grace period to refresh your training, where required.
To stay informed about these changes, or for more information, please review this page regularly. If you have specific questions, check out our FAQs, before sending us an email. As we are anticipating a high volume of emails, please expect a minimum 2-week response timeline to your questions.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- How can I update my password? Please go to the HWIS login page and reset your password anytime by clicking on the “Forgot Your Password” link.
- Why can’t I login even though I’m using my correct CWL UBC email? Note that HWIS is not CWL integrated. Please do use your UBC email (.ubc.ca) only, but use or create your own unique password for this system.
- Why can’t I login using my UBC FAS email? Please try to remember the exact email you’ve used to register. To login use your own UBC email exactly as it is registered or showing in the HWIS. Our system cannot reconcile the fact that the CWL email <CWLUserName@mail.ubc.ca> is the same as the official alias listed in the UBC directory <FirstName.LastName@ubc.ca>.
- Can I use my old CWIS account even if I have created a new account? If you are an existing user or PI, you are encouraged to and can still use your old account by updating your contact information, including your email address.
- What happens if I haven’t updated my user profile with a UBC email? The update panel will show every time you log in and you will not be able to continue unless your email is updated.
- What happens if I have a valid HWIS account but I don’t have a UBC email? Please contact SRS staff to discuss your special case.
- What can I do if I don’t have a Principal Investigator (PI)? Please contact SRS. PIs must be faculty members. System administrators can designate other groups as faculty if they do not have a PI (mostly in teaching labs).
- What information can I update under my user/PI profile? You may update your email, password, certificate info, new PI approvals, room number, department and building. If your department and building are not on the drop-down list, please contact SRS.
- Can my PI approve me even if his/her HWIS accounts is inactive? Yes, your PI can approve you as a lab contact even if his/her account is inactive, but your PI needs re-approval by admin for re-activation.
- Can my PI approve me even if his/her user profile (including training certification) is not updated? Yes, your PI can definitely approve you as a lab contact after login. Editing their user profile is not a necessary step.
- How can PIs approve their lab contacts? PIs will just have to click on the notification link received from the system, or they can login to their HWIS account and approve users from the PI Admin Panel under their user home page and clicking on “Approve”.
- Who approves PIs in the HWIS? Only system administrators can approve PIs.
- Will I be able to submit any chemical waste or disposal tag requests by contacting SRS directly before my PI approves me? No, SRS/ESF will not be able to accept any phone or email requests. Please wait for your PI’s approval.
- Do these recent changes affect me if I work in an off-campus facility? No, these changes only affect the HWIS users/PIs who are located at UBC Point Grey campus.
- How will the mandatory training requirements affect existing HWIS users and PIs? The new mandatory safety training requirements will come in effect later for existing users and in the meantime, everyone can still use the system.