All practical sessions are located at the permanent Safety & Risk Services training lab in Koerner Pavilion, UBC Hospital Room G326
There are practical sessions scheduled every week, usually 2-3 weeks in advance. During the busy months of May, September and October the sessions fill quickly, and once full the session is no longer visible for registration. Check back regularly through the course site if you are having difficulty finding a session to catch cancellations. Thank you for your patience.
Location: Room G326, Koerner Pavilion UBC Hospital
- Building is secure, access is only through UBC Hospital at the Main Wesbrook entrance and you will be asked to show identification, sanitize your hands and wear a mask.
Once inside the hospital, G326 is one level down.
- Please leave time to find the location and arrive on time. Map link for directions
- If you cannot attend a booked session, please cancel as soon as you can so that others are able to register. If you repeated fail to show for sessions without cancelling your registration in advance you may be blocked from further registration until the reason for your repeated absence is accepted by the course instructors.
When attending the session, you must
- Wear a non-medical mask.
- Arrive on time! Latecomers will not be allowed to join.
- Leave behind all superfluous items as space is limited.
Bring your own
- Lab coat (Mandatory) – we have spares, but if you choose to use a spare you may be wearing one that other people have also worn so we recommend you bring your own.
- Safety glasses (Mandatory) – we have spares, but if you choose to use a spare you will be wearing ones that other people have also worn.
- Pen for writing the final quiz (Mandatory).
- Lab appropriate clothing – long loose-fitting pants and fully covering liquid resistant shoes (Mandatory).
Radiation and X-Ray Safety Training
Which Radiation Safety Course do I need?
|If you are…||Then take||It includes|
|Faculty, Staff, a visiting researcher or student working under a radiation permit or holding a radiation permit who has not taken the course before||General Radiation Safety for Authorized Users||
|Faculty, staff, visiting researcher or student working under a radiation permit or holding a radiation permit that has an expired certificate. Prerequisite for the refresher course is a “General Radiation Safety for Authorized Users” course or equivalent UBC course must be completed within the last 3 years||General Radiation Safety Refresher for Authorized Users||
|Faculty, Staff, a visiting researcher or student working with sealed source radiation and/or devices only||Radiation Safety for Sealed Source Authorized Users||
|Faculty, Staff, a visiting researcher or student working with sealed source radiation and/or devices only. Prerequisite for the refresher course is a “Radiation Safety for Sealed Source Authorized Users” course or equivalent UBC course must be completed within the last 3 years||Radiation Safety Refresher for Sealed Source Authorized Users||
|Faculty, staff, visiting researcher or student shipping radioative materials or taking radiation devices to sites||Transport of Dangerous Goods Class 7||Offered online through BCIT|