Mandatory training for all laboratory persons handling hazardous chemicals.
Research Safety partners with researchers across campus to promote safe work practices in laboratory research that is in accordance with applicable regulations. Safety is an essential component of responsible, reproducible science. Training courses, both online and/or in-person are available.
All practical sessions are located at the permanent Safety & Risk Services training lab in Koerner Pavilion, UBC Hospital Room G326
There are practical sessions scheduled every week, usually 2-3 weeks in advance. During the busy months of May, September and October the sessions fill quickly, and once full the session is no longer visible for registration. Check back regularly through the course site if you are having difficulty finding a session to catch cancellations. Thank you for your patience.
Location: Room G326, Koerner Pavilion UBC Hospital
- Building is secure, access is only through UBC Hospital at the Main Wesbrook entrance and you will be asked to show identification, sanitize your hands and wear a mask.
Once inside the hospital, G326 is one level down.
- Please leave time to find the location and arrive on time. Map link for directions
- If you cannot attend a booked session, please cancel as soon as you can so that others are able to register. If you repeated fail to show for sessions without cancelling your registration in advance you may be blocked from further registration until the reason for your repeated absence is accepted by the course instructors.
When attending the session, you must
- Wear a non-medical mask.
- Arrive on time! Latecomers will not be allowed to join.
- Leave behind all superfluous items as space is limited.
Bring your own
- Lab coat (Mandatory) – we have spares, but if you choose to use a spare you may be wearing one that other people have also worn so we recommend you bring your own.
- Safety glasses (Mandatory) – we have spares, but if you choose to use a spare you will be wearing ones that other people have also worn.
- Pen for writing the final quiz (Mandatory).
- Lab appropriate clothing – long loose-fitting pants and fully covering liquid resistant shoes (Mandatory).
Chemical Safety Training
Which chemical safety course do I need?
|If you are…||Then take||It includes|
|Faculty, staff, visiting researcher or student working independently where chemical are used, and who has not taken the course before||Chemical Safety Course||
|Faculty, staff, visiting researcher or student working independently where chemical are used, and who has a valid certificate (less than 5 years old) that is nearing expiration||Chemical Safety Refresher Course||
|An undergraduate student volunteering or undertaking a project under the constant and direct supervision of a senior lab member and who will never be working independently in the lab||Introduction to Laboratory Safety||
|Faculty, staff, visiting researcher or student shipping or receiving hazardous chemicals, fuels, lithium ion batteries, or compressed gasses (dangerous goods other than Classes 1, 6.2 or 7)||Transportation of Dangerous Goods by Ground and Air||