Practicum/Clinical Placement Student Safety

Everyone plays a role in making UBC’s Vancouver campus a safe and welcoming place. A number of resources are available to ensure safety for practicum/clinical placement students

Practicum/Clinical Placement Students

What WorkSafeBC coverage is available for Practicum or Clinical Placement Students?

The Ministry of Advanced Education (not UBC), determines which practicum students are eligible for workers’ compensation.

Students completing the practicum portion of their studies are eligible for workers’ compensation if they experience work-related illness or injury while doing their practicum, provided their practicum is defined as:

  • An assigned work experience component of a UBC-sanctioned program;
  • A required component of the program which is included in the program description in the institutional calendar, normally as a credit course; and which must be successfully completed by the student as a requirement for program graduation and certification; and
  • Unpaid work activities, which are supervised by the host employer or a qualified designate, and which occur at the host employer’s regular business location.

The practicum/clinical placement may occur either:

  • Off-site at the host employer’s regular place of business; or
  • On-site on UBC premises, but only in a work place that is part of UBC’s regular business activities, such as an office administration practicum in the administration department.

Not sure if your practicum/clinical placement is covered by WorkSafeBC?

^ Back to Top

What does NOT qualify for WorkSafeBC coverage?

Simulated Work Experience:

  • WorkSafeBC coverage does not extend to work places created specifically for the purposes of experiential training/simulated work experience while attending a program established by UBC.

Paid Work Experience:

  • A student who is paid by an employer while on a work experience or practicum component of their post-secondary education will be provided WorkSafeBC coverage through that employer.

Out-of-Province Practicums:

  • WorkSafeBC coverage is for workers who are injured while on the job in British Columbia. Students working outside of BC should confirm coverage with the province or country in which they will be on practicum. Arrangements for optional Workers Compensation insurance are only in place for Ontario, Alberta & the Yukon. For more information and the procedure to apply for coverage, see Insurance Programs – Student Insurance for Practicum / Clinical Placements. It is advisable that students obtain their own medical insurance for out-of-country placements.

^ Back to Top

What mandatory training is available for Practicum or Clinical Placement Students?

To be in compliance with WorkSafeBC legislation, all practicum/clinical placements must complete:

  • A site-specific safety orientation and training with their supervisor.
  • Preventing and Addressing Workplace Bullying & Harassment training.
  • Additional training related to any hazards present or handled during the course of the work.
  • Individual departments may also hold in-person training sessions addressing one or more of these requirements. Talk to your supervisor about what resources are available in order to meet WorkSafeBC legislation and the requirements of the workplace.

^ Back to Top

How should Practicum or Clinical Placement Students report Accidents/Incidents?

If a practicum student has seen a doctor or has missed time from work as a result of a work-related injury/illness, (s)he must start a claim by calling the WorkSafeBC Teleclaim Contact Centre at 1.888.WORKERS (1.888.967.5377).

In addition, both the student and his/her supervisor (employer) must complete an online report on the UBC CAIRS website.

^ Back to Top

What safety resources are available for Practicum or Clinical Placement Students?

Blood and Body Fluid Exposure Control Plan – Students – Faculty of Medicine:

^ Back to Top