FAQ: COVID-19 Virus Transmissions, Contact Tracing & Vaccinations

Last updated: April 12, 2021, 3:51 pm

The below frequently asked questions provide information about the notification and contact tracing processes carried out by public health authorities, and how UBC may assist them in certain circumstances. New April 2021: information added to this page about the Vaccination Site at the Pharmaceutical Sciences Building.

I think I have COVID-19, or a close contact of mine has been confirmed as a COVID-19 case, what do I do?

  1. If you are already working remotely, stay home and follow the next steps. If you are on campus and develop symptoms, put on your non-medical mask, then follow the next steps.
  2. Call HealthLink BC at 8-1-1(toll-free) in B.C. or visit https://bc.thrive.health/ to complete the self-assessment tool and follow the instructions given to you by Public Health. If you need to leave campus because you aren’t feeling well or are told to self-isolate, tell your supervisor you are leaving.

Refer to the UBC COVID-19 Campus Rules if needed.

What is contact tracing?

Contact tracing is the process used by public health authorities to identify individuals who have come into high-risk contact with a person infected with COVID-19. The public health authority contacts these individuals and provides health direction.

What is the notification process for confirmed cases of COVID-19?

Notification of COVID-19 cases, and potential exposures, within our community is managed by public health authorities, not by UBC. If UBC is asked by public health authorities to assist in notifying our community members of a confirmed case we will do so by assisting in the distribution of materials prepared by those public health authorities. Only those identified through contact tracing as “needing to know” will have access to this information.

What is UBC’s process for contact tracing?

Contact tracing is carried out by public health authorities. If the public health authority determines that there may have been high-risk contact with individuals, they will try and reach them. If the public health authority cannot reach a contact by direct contact notification, a more widespread notification to identified groups may be carried out. (To maintain personal information privacy rights, the public health authority will only disclose limited information about a confirmed case in the campus community when sharing the information is required to support effective contact tracing.)  UBC will assist in distributing these notifications if required.

What are the stages involved in contact tracing?

When carrying out contact tracing, public health authorities follow these steps:

  1. A person tests positive for COVID-19 and they become a “case”;
  2. The lab completing the testing informs the public health authority and a public health nurse is assigned to interview the case to identify people they’ve spent time with. People with prolonged close contact with the case during their infectious period are “contacts”;
  3. The public health authority gets in touch with the contacts and asks them about symptoms of COVID-19;
  4. Not every contact needs to be identified: only those who could have been exposed to the case’s respiratory droplets from coughing, sneezing or speaking – this takes close and prolonged contact;
  5. The public health authority maintains the case’s privacy. A case can choose to tell others about their diagnosis but should not do their own contact tracing and nor should others (e.g. employers);
  6. Contacts with symptoms are sent for testing. If they test positive, they become a ‘case’ and the process repeats;
  7. Contacts with no symptoms are asked to self-isolate and monitor for symptoms for 14 days after their last contact with the case (while they may be in the incubation period of the infection).

When would a public health authority recommend the closure of a facility?

For a public health authority to recommend or order closure of a site or facility to prevent infection transmission is a rare step, reserved for circumstances in which direct management of cases and contacts is not sufficient to limit transmission. The public health authority would communicate closely with UBC administrators on any recommended closures related to COVID-19.

Who do I contact if a public health authority reaches out to me in my capacity as a UBC supervisor/manager/ instructor of an employee or student?

If you are a supervisor/manager/instructor, public health authorities may reach out to you in that capacity to assist with contact tracing. If you are contacted by a public health authority, please reach out to your Student Health Services (Student cases), Director, Faculty Relations (Faculty cases) and Director, Employee & Labour Relations (Staff cases) and they will cooperate with the health authority’s information gathering and notification processes.

Do I need to contact anyone if a UBC Employee or Student voluntarily discloses they have COVID-19, or have been instructed to self-isolate by Public Health?

Information provided to you from a person regarding their health is generally considered to be personal information under provincial privacy legislation (FOIPPA). Please keep this in mind when asking for further advice.

Supervisors should refer to the Reporting COVID-19 Exposure page if they believe the exposure may be work-related. Otherwise, please reach out to your Student Health Services (Student cases), Director, Faculty Relations (Faculty cases) and Director, Employee & Labour Relations (Staff cases) to assist.

Are UBC students, staff and faculty able to get vaccinated early at the immunization site in the Pharmaceutical Sciences Building?

UBC is providing the facility for the immunization site, but appointments are managed by the Provincial Government in partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health.  This site does not offer a drop-in service.

  • To learn more about who is eligible, and for information on the phases of B.C.’s COVID-19 Immunization plan, click here
  • Vaccine registration is open for people who are eligible. To register for the vaccine, click here
  • Students, faculty and staff regularly working at a hospital site may be eligible for vaccine. To view FAQs on vaccinations for healthcare workers, click here

When I am eligible, can I book an appointment at UBC, even if I live in the Fraser Health Authority Region?